Friday, November 15, 2013

My Favorite Album: David's Contribution

It's an odd question to ask about a favorite album in a time where albums have become increasingly irrelevant.  I searched the recesses of my mind for an album that stuck out to me as great.  A few albums came to mind, all of which could be associated with a time and place.   Californication by RHCP was the album of my summer at Ojibwa sleepaway camp, I used to sit in my bed and try to memorize the lyrics.  Chronic 2001 by Dr. Dre was the first non clean rap album I owned.  A Place in the Sun by LIT most famous for My Own Worst Enemy, carried me through 6th and 7th grade, as well as a long car ride to a cabin in West Virginia with Jordan where we knew every word to every song.  Ultimately I settled on an album that launched a career and supercharged an ego, an album that was omnipresent during one of my most formative years.  An album that brought people together, and was also the first time I ever cared about skits on a rap album.  That album is College Dropout By Kanye West.

The album gives us our first taste of the lyrical genius that can come from Kanye - We Don’t Care features lines like “drug games’ bulimic its hard to get weight” and All Falls Down has the line “couldn’t afford a car so she named her daughter Alexus”  (….get it?!).”   All of this with incredible guests.  The songs that were released were great, but the best songs are reserved for those that listened to the whole album, and only get better with time.  Long before we knew how pompous and self-aggrandizing Kanye was, long before he was a world superstar, we had College Dropout. 

David is a Medical Resident, Music Lover, Drummer, and Close Relative living in Chicago

Click here for The Purdy's Contribution
Click here for Der Kaurich's Contribution
Click here for La Magram's Contribution
Click here for Die Myhre's Contribution
Click here for Der Mazur's Contribution
Click here for La Cohen's Contribution
Click here for Il Greenwood's Contribution
Click here for Der Thobaben's Contribution
Click here for Doundou Tchil's Contribution
Click here for Eta Boris's Contribution
Click here for HaWinograd's Contribution
Click here for Le Malon's Contribution
Click here for Atomic Sam's Contribution
Click here for La Swaynos's Contribution
Click here for Boulezian's Contribution
Click here for HaZmora's Contribution
Click here for The McBee's Contribution
Click here for Le Drgon's Contribution
Click here for The Brannock's Contribution
Click here for The Danny's Contribution
Click here for The Drioux's contribution
Click here for El Reyes's contribution
Click here for My contribtuion

No comments:

Post a Comment